China's flood response sees improved results


China has seen flood-related casualties this year so far almost halved from the average of the past five years, despite the wider impact of flooding on people's lives and economy, according to the Ministry of Emergency Management.
"A vast stretch of areas has been affected by floods this year," said Zhou Xuewen, vice-minister of both emergency management and water resources at a news conference organized by the State Council Information Office on Thursday.
About 70.47 million people in 28 provincial regions have suffered floods so far this year, up 17 percent from the average of the past five years, he noted.
The long-lasting floods this year have resulted in total direct economic losses of almost 214.31 billion yuan, 27 percent more than the past five years' average, he added.
He said, however, there has been a sharp decrease in casualties as the ministry attached greater importance to evacuation.
The number of people left dead or missing in floods decreased 49.8 percent from the five-year average to 271. About 4.7 million people have been urgently evacuated so far this year, 47.3 percent more than the average of the past five years, he noted.
- Crook: Unite Japanese people to prevent militarism
- SCO delegates explore Luban Workshop model in Tianjin
- International journalists hail SCO role in fostering development and stability
- Xi, Modi hold fruitful meeting: senior official
- Time to 'thank' friends who told China's story of resistance
- New blue book charts Chinese diplomacy in global affairs