亚洲91视频,国产91网,久久久久久久久久久久久久久国产,亚洲一区二区三区日本久久九,亚洲日本久久,国产精品久久久99,亚洲欧美一区二

   

Gunmen kidnap 5 Chinese in Nigeria

By Qin Jize (China Daily)
Updated: 2007-01-06 08:32

Five Chinese workers were kidnapped in Nigeria's oil-rich and volatile southern state of Rivers early on Friday morning.

A source in the Chinese embassy in the capital city of Abuja said the victims were from a Chinese telecom company and that armed kidnappers also stole property worth thousands of US dollars.

Li, an official with the consular department, told China Daily that a group of six people were working on an electricity project when they were attacked by the gunmen around 5 am.

One worker managed to hide from the kidnappers and escape.

Li said the Chinese Foreign Ministry and his embassy had launched emergency action to rescue the kidnapped workers.

He said the ambassador and embassy staff, as well as the employer of the kidnapped workers, were in contact with the Nigerian Foreign Ministry, the local government and local police to secure their release.

No one has claimed responsibility for the kidnapping so far, but Li said the perpetrators were expected to seek a ransom.

Armed robbery and abductions for ransom are common in the oil-producing state of Rivers in Niger Delta.

Li said abductors taking Chinese nationals as hostages tend to seek a ransom rather than pressing political demands.

This is the first abduction of workers from a Chinese enterprise in the region, he said.



Top China News  
Today's Top News  
Most Commented/Read Stories in 48 Hours