亚洲91视频,国产91网,久久久久久久久久久久久久久国产,亚洲一区二区三区日本久久九,亚洲日本久久,国产精品久久久99,亚洲欧美一区二

   

42 died in fires during New Year

(AP)
Updated: 2007-02-25 19:24

Accidental fires killed 42 people in China over the weeklong Lunar New Year holiday, down sharply from the fire death toll during last year's holiday period, the official Xinhua News Agency said Sunday.

Related readings:
Lunar New Year- Year of the Pig
Beijingers celebrate Lunar New Year
Pingyao attracts holidaymakers
Macao sees strong visitor flow during spring festival
Olympic team lost at Lunar New Year Cup
Jamaica lift Lunar New Year Cup
The report did not say what caused the fires, but Beijing and other cities lifted a decade-old ban last year on fireworks, and residents set off millions of firecrackers to celebrate.

During last year's Lunar New Year holiday, 63 people were killed in accidental blazes, Xinhua said.

More than 9,100 fires were reported during the February 17-24 period, down 26.1 percent from last year's 13,000 accidental fires, it said.

In a separate report, Xinhua said 663 people were injured by setting off fireworks during the holiday week in Beijing, up slightly from last year when 654 people were injured.

Improper use was blamed for 63 percent of the injuries while shoddy fireworks were blamed for the rest.

Lighting firecrackers and fireworks is part in a Chinese New Year tradition meant to drive away bad luck and scare off evil spirits.



Top China News  
Today's Top News  
Most Commented/Read Stories in 48 Hours